Thursday, January 31, 2013

Connor's Broken Arm

I was on my way to pick Connor up from school when I got a call from the office saying that I better hurry and that paramedics were on their way to come see Connor for an obviously broken arm.  Luckily I was literally seconds away ( a blessing because I was commuting from our old house still and it is a 15 minute drive-I just happened to be out and about so I was going to be early to school to pick up.)  I ran to see him laying on the his back on the playground below the monkey bars with his arm in a contorted position that you would NEVER want to see. He had apparently fallen off of the monkey bars. The paramedics arrived soon after me to cut his sweatshirt off and put his arm in a splint. There were many caring adults surrounding him including the principal, teachers, and office staff. They all said they had never seen such a calm kiddo in this sort of situation. He was not crying (I was) , he answered questions, and cooperated in everyway they asked. The front office secretary took the girls, called one of my friends and soon to be neighbors to come get them. This friends husband also happened to be a Dr. working in the ER and she called him to let them know we were coming. Instead of the ambulance, I was able to transport him. The first thing he said when he got in the van was, "I'm sorry mom." Of course I told him it was okay and it wasn't his fault, but I thought it was so sweet that he was trying to apologize. 
We headed to the ER and he continued to be a trooper. Ryan was able to meet us there from work. They took great care of him. Both bones in his arm were broken. We were told to follow up in a week with an orthopedic. That night I posted this picture of his x-ray on facebook just for fun. My friend's husband is an orthopedic surgeon and saw the picture and had us come in the next day. He looked at the x-rays and thought Connor needed surgery. He referred us to another Dr. in the practice who does pediatric and arms and he agreed to do surgery the next day on a Saturday. 
Ryan's parents and Lance came to stay with the girls. They placed 2 titanium rods in his arm to help it straighten out. After surgery the Dr. said it was a really good thing that we went ahead with the procedure because it was worse than what he expected. Four casts later and one more surgery to get the rods out and I am happy to report his arm is repaired and healthy again. 




1 comment:

Susan said...

That was a really nasty break. Glad that it's all better!